This is a short training session that raises awareness and increases knowledge about breastfeeding. Individuals can book a place on upcoming online courses and organisations and businesses can also commission courses to be delivered tailored to the needs of their specific setting. The course is delivered by experienced BfN Trainers and can be delivered online or face to face in certain areas. We also have an option for setting up a licence agreement to deliver the training yourself, get in touch for more information.
Our First Milk Matters course lasts for just 2 or 3 hours and aims to:
- increase knowledge and awareness about breastfeeding
- empower families to make informed choices about feeding their baby
- share evidence about why breastfeeding is important
- help people think about what they can do to support breastfeeding in their own community.
More information about the training
- A 2.5-3 hour long interactive session with whole group and round table discussions
- Can be delivered online or face to face (in some areas)
- Evaluated using the accredited IOWA Infant Feeding Attitudes Scale
- Suitable for anyone working with families and children who would like to increase their knowledge about infant feeding e.g. social workers, healthcare professionals, Children’s centre staff, teachers/early years’ practitioners etc.
- Easily adapted for others who may come into contact with breastfeeding parents e.g. managers/employers, public sector workers, any staff who work in a customer facing role for example in a shop or restaurant
- Can also be offered to families and communities
- Ideal for learning more about developing ‘Breastfeeding Friendly’ nurseries, schools and colleges
Outcomes from the training
- Increased understanding of why breastfeeding is important
- An understanding of how breastmilk is made and what can interfere with this
- Knowledge of how breastmilk differs from formula
- Increased knowledge of the cultural issues/barriers relating to breastfeeding
- An understanding of how individuals can support breastfeeding
- Increased awareness of where to signpost families for breastfeeding support
You can book a place at a First Milk Matters session via Eventbrite or get in touch by emailing email@example.com if you would like to commission a course for your organisation or workplace.