Vacancy Reference: BfN2023/34
Job Title: Trustee (Voluntary Role)
Start date: Voluntary post with potential start date in September/October
Closing Date: 09/08/2022
The Breastfeeding Network (BfN) aims to be an independent source of support and information for breastfeeding women and others.
It aims to:
- To inform, educate and support families in feeding and nurturing babies and young children;
- To enable communities to support breastfeeding through sharing information, training and volunteering;
- To contribute to evidence based policy making for government, healthcare providers and educators;
- To promote the mental and physical wellbeing of mothers and babies through supporting breastfeeding
Help us to further our work – become a Trustee.
We are looking for volunteers to join our Board of Trustees.
As a Trustee, you’ll have the opportunity to apply and develop your skills and experience within BfN’s welcoming and dedicated Board. You’ll use your passionate commitment to ensure the charity can continue to progress strategically and influence real change for parents and families choosing to breastfeed, whilst maintaining our independence through not seeking funding or sponsorship from any company or organisation seeking to profit from a parent’s decisions or choices.
We are looking for new trustees that fully represent the range of diversity in the infant feeding community. At this time, we are looking to appoint applicants who have skills or experience in the following areas:
- Working as a GP or pharmacist
- Public health
- Business development, in particular experience of scaling projects and business streams
- Strategic communications
We also are very keen to hear from potential candidates who are members of BfN, or that are based in Scotland (or both!). Members are volunteers either in training or after, when they have an up to date registration, including payment of the membership fee where relevant. Members are the life-blood of BfN: it is vital that the board benefits from members’ experience, knowledge and diversity. Scotland has taken a strategic approach to supporting breastfeeding and we partner with health boards in many areas of Scotland delivering peer support on wards, in homes and in communities and we also extend support through the National Breastfeeding Helpline. As a Scottish-registered charity, with many of our central team based in Scotland, Scottish representation is vital to the board’s success. Of course, we welcome applications from anyone with a keen interest and relevant skills or experience.
- Oversee the implementation of the charity’s strategy.
- Support the Chief Executive and senior team, adding value and expert advice.
- Facilitate change that promotes the value of breastfeeding to be considered higher up the political and social agenda.
- Support BfN to develop an increasing awareness regarding the value of breastfeeding and breastmilk.
- Ensure the charity remains true to its purpose.
If you would like to apply, please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com. The covering letter should explain your interest and suitability for the role. An application form is available, should you not have a CV. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request a blank form.
Should you wish to have an informal chat about what it is to be a Trustee for BfN, please contact email@example.com to arrange a chat with one of the current board members.
If you have any questions about the job roles or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone our HR Manager on 0844 412 0995